Labour Agreements Visa enable Australian employers to recruit a specified number of workers from overseas in response to identified or emerging labour market (or skill) shortages in Australia.
- They provide an avenue for either permanent or temporary entry to Australia.
- They are also designed to ensure that overseas recruitment supports the longer-term improvement of employment and training opportunities for Australians.
- Employers or industrial associations are required to make commitments to the employment, education, training and career opportunities of Australians as part of the agreement.
After the agreement has been negotiated, the process consists of two stages:
- nomination by the employer; and
- nominee’s application for a visa.